As one of the most visible components of the police department, more than 50 noncommissioned guards have frequent interaction with the public. Their public relations skills extend from assisting tour groups in the libraries and museums to providing directions and information to students, faculty members, staffers and visitors to the campus.
The daily responsibilities of the guard force include the patrol of the parking lots around campus as well as the staffing of several fixed posts at places such as libraries, museums and galleries. They are responsible for the prevention of theft and damage to university and personal property.
Their contribution to the success of law enforcement efforts on the campus is unquestionable. They carry no weapons and have no police arrest authority, but their observation skills and subsequent reports of suspicious activity often lead to the apprehension of violators.
- Job description (Human Resources)
- No current openings
- High school diploma or GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Criminal record free of felony convictions, good credit, stable employment history
- Valid driver’s license
- Able to read, write and speak English
- Able to operate a hand-held radio
- Good physical condition, able to walk and/or stand for long periods
- Acceptable driving record and eligible to operate a university-owned vehicle in accordance with UTS 157
The University of Texas at Austin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran's status, or sexual orientation.