As one of the most visible components of the police department, non-commissioned Public Safety Officers have frequent interaction with the public. They serve as the eyes and ears for the department. Their public relations skills extend from assisting tour groups in the libraries and museums to providing directions and information to students, faculty members, staff and visitors to the campus.
The daily responsibilities of the PSO force includes responding when door alarms are triggered, watching over parking lots around campus as well as the staffing places such as libraries, museums and galleries. They are responsible for the prevention of theft and damage to university and personal property.
Their contribution to the success of law enforcement efforts on the campus is unquestionable. They do not carry weapons and have no police arrest authority, but their observation skills and subsequent reports of suspicious activity often lead to the apprehension of violators.
Public Safety Officer Requirements
- High school diploma or GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Criminal record free of felony convictions, good credit, stable employment history
- Valid driver’s license
- Able to read, write and speak English
- Able to operate a hand-held radio
- Good physical condition, able to walk and/or stand for long periods
- Acceptable driving record and eligible to operate a university-owned vehicle in accordance with UTS 157
Public Safety Officer Salary
- $27,040 annually
- Apply for a PSO position
Guards monitor and assist with the security and protection of university buildings and properties. As a guard, you are expected to provide friendly and quality information to students, employees, and visitors to The University of Texas at Austin. Employees drive a UT vehicle and bicycle. You must be able to complete written reports and monitor security sensitive equipment. Guards may occasionally direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Guards must be familiar with UTPD policies and procedures and be able to apply them in the field.
- High school graduation or GED. Stable work history.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to stand or walk several hours each day and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to provide credible testimony in a court of law.
- Ability to complete and review forms in detail with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Class "C" Operator's Driver's License. Applicant selected must provide a current three year Driving Record from the current state of residence. If not currently a Texas resident, must obtain a Texas Driver's License within 30 days after entering Texas as a new resident. Acceptable driving record and eligible to operate a university-owned vehicle in accordance with UTS 157
- One or more years of experience as a security guard or police officer
- Two years of college level education
- Experience operating a hand held radio
- Familiar with police operations
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- $27,040 annually
- Apply for a Guard position
The University of Texas at Austin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran's status, or sexual orientation.