Information for Crime Victims

If you have recently been a victim of crime, UTPD extends our deepest regrets and we wish to assist you in every way possible. As a resource, we would like to offer the following answers to questions we often receive from crime victims.

How do I report a crime?

Call 911 in the event of an emergency. Call UTPD at 512-471-4441 to report all non-emergency crimes that take place on the university campus.

Where can I turn for additional support?

Depending on the type of crime you experience, you may need to seek medical attention, mental health counseling, or legal advice. See our list of campus and Austin-area help for useful support services.

Do I need to contact multiple law enforcement agencies?

If the offense took place on-campus, you do not need to report the crime to another law enforcement agency. We often coordinate our criminal investigations with other law enforcement agencies, so we will let you know if you need to contact non-UTPD officers for some reason.

What information is useful when I report a crime?

UTPD officers thoroughly investigate all reported crimes, and every piece of information you give us about the crime takes us one step closer to a successful investigation. It would be particularly helpful to mention the following elements when you report a crime: evidence, witnesses, suspects, and serial numbers or identifying markings on stolen property. Other information or leads are always useful as well.

Where can I find the serial number of my stolen property?

If you are uncertain of the serial number of a valuable item, you may be able to find this information in maintenance agreements, warranty cards, purchase agreements, or on packing boxes. You may also be able to obtain serial number information from the manufacturer or seller. Stolen items with serial numbers or identifying markings are often recovered through pawn shops, police arrests, or by the National Crime Information Computer, so any identifying information you can give us will vastly help in our theft investigation.

How can I provide additional information to police after I file a report?

After you report a crime, you may come across information that wasn’t included in the report, such as new witnesses, values of property stolen, or additional victims. You should contact the officer who initially received your report to notify her/him of this information. Since officers work variable shifts, it is best to try to get in touch around the same time you first reported the crime. If you cannot contact the reporting officer, call UTPD at 512-471-4441 and leave your name and number for a return phone call.

Should I notify police if I find my stolen property?

Yes, you should always let police know if you recover your stolen property. A frequent problem in theft cases is that victims forget to contact police when they recover stolen property at a later date. This kind of oversight creates problems if the victim later transfers the property’s ownership and the item is discovered by police.

Can I get reimbursed for property stolen on campus?

The University of Texas at Austin does not carry insurance for the theft of personal property, but you may be able to be reimbursed through your own insurance. Contact your insurance agent for possible coverage from homeowner, renter or automobile insurance. We will send a copy of the incident report to your insurance company upon their request. You may also be eligible for an income tax deduction from the loss of personal property.

Will I need to be involved in the investigation after I file a crime report?

An officer will assist you at every step of the criminal justice system, and will make sure you always feel comfortable with your level of involvement in the case. If our investigation is successful and an offender is identified or stolen property is recovered, we will need your continued cooperation. For example, you may be required to identify the property and it may be necessary to impound it until after a prosecution or investigation is completed.