The mission of the Community Outreach Unit is to foster a positive relationship between UTPD and all members of the diverse community we serve. The Community Outreach Unit accomplishes its mission by application of the following objectives:
- Dissemination of information to students, faculty members and staff members.
- Cultivating dialogue between the police department and the Longhorn community.
- The coordination of presentations and programs such as “Coffee with a Cop” that are designed to
- Preparation of information bulletins on known criminal offenders identified on campus for distribution to patrol officers.
- Coordination of alarm services.
Another function of the Community Outreach Unit is to find innovative ways to prevent crime. Although UTPD considers all of its officers to be community outreach and crime prevention officers, the current specialist is Officer Mike Murphy. Irene Benavides assists the unit as an administrative associate. Some of the services that the Community Outreach Unit offers:
- Alcohol awareness programs
- Community meetings
- Security surveys
- Follow-up on false alarms or maintenance concerns
- Free use of electric engravers for identification of personal property
- Personal and office safety programs
- Active Aggressor Preparation and Defense courses