Safety Week 2007
The University of Texas at Austin Police Department and Student Government invite you to Safety Week 2007! Safety Week is open to the public and will take place March 5-9 on the university main campus. The week is jam-packed with fun, interactive events that will teach you how to keep you — and your friends and loved ones — as safe as possible. During Safety Week you will have a chance to learn about safety issues that affect students, and you will be able to take part in hands-on activities involving fire safety, crime prevention, health and wellness, self defense, law enforcement, and much more.
Monday March 5: Fire Safety Day 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Fire Extinguisher Demo and Fire Prevention Program — Speedway Mall
- See demonstrations on how to use a fire extinguisher to put out real fires, and participate in interactive displays while learning how to prevent fire.
- Car Smash — Speedway Mall
- Gather with your friends, grab a sledgehammer, and relieve stress by smashing a totaled car. This is an opportunity to channel physical aggression in a safe environment, because all glass, fluids, and shock absorbers have been removed from the car (a wrecked vehicle donated by State Farm).
Tuesday March 6: Personal Safety Day 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Health and Wellness Fair — East Mall
- Take part in a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) demonstration, and learn multiple ways to improve your safety and physical and emotional health.
- FREE PIZZA with the UTPD — East Mall
- Eat free pizza and get to know UTPD officers.
*UTPD officers will also be going to day care schools on Tuesday morning to hand out finger print kits
Wednesday March 7: Law Enforcement Expo 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- K-9 Demonstration — East Mall
- See Texas’ top-ranked K9 teams demonstrate apprehensions, take-downs, and explosives detection.
- Taser Teach — Speedway Mall
- Learn about the hot law enforcement topic of tasers.
- Crime Scene Investigation & Special Response Demos — Speedway Mall
- Learn how police officers investigate crime scenes, and see the Special Response Team show off their cool gear.
Thursday March 8: Alcohol Awareness Day 11 a.m. — 2 p.m.
- Star Cart — East Mall
- Drive a golf cart with goggles on that simulate the experience of drunk driving.
- Alcohol Awareness Tables — East Mall
- Learn about the physical, emotional, and legal repercussions of alcohol from UTPD, Student Judicial Services, and Brown Distributing. You will have access to vital information about alcohol poisoning, legal issues, and how to deal with friends with drinking problems.
Friday, March 9: Spring Break Safety 11 a.m. — 2 p.m.
- Bicycle Registration Table — Speedway Mall
- Register your bicycle and learn how to prevent bike theft.
- Spring Break Safety Table — Speedway Mall
- Learn how to keep you and your friends safe this spring break.