- A1 Body Armor
- A2 Mandatory Reading Board
- A3 Sick Leave
- A4 Communicable Diseases
- A5 Emergency Driving in Non-Pursuit and Pursuit Situations
- A6 Implementation of Crime Victim’s Compensation Act
- A7 Mobile Video/Audio Recording Equipment
- A8 Timely Warning (PDF)
- A9 Bias-Based Profiling
- A10 Ride Along Program
- A11 Seizure and Forfeiture of Contraband
- A12 Use of Force
- A13 Duty Weapons / Lethal & Less-Lethal (PDF)
- A14 K-9 Unit
- A15 Special Response Team
- A16 Emergency Messages
- A17 Cellular Telephones
|Title||Operations / Policy A-10|
|Subject||Ride Along Program|
|Purpose||To establish guidelines for occasions when citizens wish to ride with an officer.|
|Scope||This directive applies to commissioned officers.|
- Minimum Standards:
- Applicants who desire to ride with an officer will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the shift commander. All ride along requests must be submitted 48 hours in advance. Applicants will be subject to a criminal history check of TCIC/NCIC and must complete and sign a waiver of liability. Applicants will be evaluated on background and information disclosed in the application. Final approval will be at the discretion of the Chief of Police or designee.
- Rules of Conduct:
- Participants will not use alcoholic beverages prior to and during the ride.
- Will not use abusive or profane language.
- Will not voice remarks to complainants, witnesses, violators, suspects, or behave in any manner that would tend to provoke or escalate tension.
- Obey instructions given by officers.
- Will not release any information concerning the status of a case, and the names of any participant in a police investigation.
- Will not dress in a provocative manner.
- Will not carry a firearm or convey the impression that they are police officers.
- Remain in the vehicle during traffic stops or emergencies.
- Participants will ride for a maximum of four hours.
- Shift Commander’s Responsibilities:
- Run a CCH on each participant. Insure that application and agreement are completed and retain in shift records. Monitor appearance of applicant and access to sensitive areas of the department.
- Assignment of a ride along applicant to an officer will be determined by the Shift Commander.